A Case Report and Literature Review of Fetus in Fetu – A Rare Aberration of Embryogenesis in a 22-month old Infant
Keywords:fetus-in-fetu, teratoma, intra-abdominal mass, fetoid
Fetus in fetu (FIF) is an uncommon pathology resulting from an abnormal embryogenesis occurring in a diamnionic, monochorionic twinning during pregnancy. It is so rare that there is only one underdocumented case reported in the Philippines. We are faced with a curious case of a 22-month old male child who presented with a gradually enlarging abdomen, diagnosed as FIF as confirmed by radiologic studies. After undergoing the necessary laboratory and radiologic work-ups, the patient was stabilized and eventually cleared for surgery. He underwent exploratory laparotomy with excision of FIF, from which a fetoid structure was recovered. Thorough gross and further radiologic evaluation of the recovered fetoid structure reveals findings that fulfilled the diagnostic criteria of a FIF.
2. Senyüz OF, Rizalar R, Celayir S, Öz F. Fetus in fetu or giant epignathus protruding from the mouth. J Pediatr Surg. 1992;27(12):1493-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-3468(92)90480-U.
3. Borges E, Lim-Dunham JE, Vade A. Fetus in fetu appearing as a pre-natal neck mass. J Ultrasound Med. 2005;24(9):1313–6. PMID: 16123193.
4. Fetus inside a baby; 'broken' food. GMA News Online. Posted August 1, 2007. http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/53804/publicaffairs/fetus-inside-a-baby-broken-food.
5. Karaman I, Erdogan D, Ozalevli S, Karaman A, Cavusoglu YH, Aslan MK, et al. Fetus in fetu: a report of two cases. J Indian Assoc Pediatr Surg. 2008;13(1): 30-2. https://doi.org/10.4103/0971-9261.42572.
6. Ahmad Jan I, Al Hamoudi B, Shiniwas M. Fetus in fetu or teratoma: a report of four cases and literature review. Journal of Pediatric Surgical Specialties. 2015;9(1):1-52.
7. Murtaza A, Kanhaiya C, Sadhna M, Sabiha M. Fetus in fetu: a rare presentation in an adult female. OMJ. 2010;25. https://doi.org/10.5001/omj.2010.43.
8. Yang ST, Leow SW. Intracranial fetus-in-fetu: CT Diagnosis. Am J Neuroradiol. 1992;13(5):1326-9.
9. Willis RA. The borderland of embryology and pathology. 2nd edition. Washington, DC: Butterworths; 1962:442-462.
10. Jeanty P, de Andrade Gonçalves LF, Silva SR. Fetus-in-fetu. Available from: http://www.thefetus.net. [cited on 2000 Sep 18].
11. Spencer R. Parasitic conjoined twins: External, internal (fetuses in fetu and teratomas), and detached (acardiacs). Clin Anat. 2001;14(6):428–44. https://doi.org/10.1002/ca.1079.
12. Singh S, Rattan K, Navtej, Gil M, Mathur SK, Sen R. Fetus-in-fetu presenting as acute intestinal obstruction. Indian J Pathol Microbiol. 2010;53(1):128– 9. https://doi.org/10.4103/0377-4929.59203.
13. Eng HL, Chuang JH, Lee TY, Chen WJ. Fetus in fetu: a case report and review of the literature. J Pediatr Surg. 1989;24(3):296–9. http://doi.org/ 10.1016/S0022-3468(89)80017-X.
14. Federici S, Ceccarelli PL, Ferrari M, Galli G, Zanetti G, Domini R. Fetus in fetu: report of three cases and review of the literature. Pediatr Surg Int. 1991;6(1):60– 5. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00174889.
15. Kurdi AM, Al-Sasi OM, Asiri SM, Al-Hudhaif JM. Fetus-in-fetu. Imaging and pathology. Saudi Med J.2012; 33(4):444–8. PMID: 22485242.
16. Lord JM. Intra-abdominal foetus in foetu. J Pathol. 1956;72(2):627–41. https://doi.org/10.1002/path.1700720230.
17. Kim OH, Shinn KS. Postnatal growth of fetus-in-fetu. Pediatr Radiol. 1993;23(5):411–2. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02011978.
18. Chua JHY, Chui CH, Sai PTR, Jacobsen AS, Meenakshi A, Hwang WS. Fetus-in-fetu in the pelvis: report of a case and literature review. Ann Acad Med Singapore. 2005;34(10):646-9. PMID: 16382253.
19. Miura S, Miura K, Yamamoto T, Yamanaka M, Saito K, Hirabuki T, et al. Origin and mechanisms of formation of fetus-in-fetu: two cases with genotype and methylation analyses. Am J Med Genet A. 2006;140A(16):1737-43. https://doi.org/10.1002/ajmg.a.31362.
20. Gupta KG, Singhal P, Arya N. Fetus in fetu: a rare congenital anomaly. J Surg Tech Case Report. 2010;2(2): 77-80. https://doi.org/10.4103/2006-8808.73621.
How to Cite
The Philippine Journal of Pathology is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License. Based on works made open access at http://philippinejournalofpathology.org